|Fable II Region|
|Related Quests|| Stranded|
Returning the Dark Seal
Evil in Wraithmarsh
(Entrance only) Brightwood
Wraithmarsh is a location in Fable II, a cursed swampland infested with creatures such as Banshees, Balverines and Hollow Men which has grown over the now-abandoned village of Oakvale, the trading centre Barrow Fields, and Darkwood from Fable and Fable: The Lost Chapters. The roads in Wraithmarsh have nearly vanished, causing Bloodstone to be isolated from the rest of Albion. Wraithmarsh is visited fairly late in Fable II's single player story and the first place to feature Elder Hollow Men. The forest shares a border with Deepwood (an area mentioned but not accessible to the Hero) Bloodstone and the south sea. In Fable III it is not accessible but there are signs advertising tours around it.
WARNING: This section or article may contain spoilers!
Wraithmarsh is the result of a curse on the town of Oakvale. Over 200 years prior to Fable II, a young man went to the Shadow Court to barter for eternal youth. They agreed to take youthful sacrifices in order for him to keep his own youth, but in exchange they decimated his home town and all its inhabitants via the expansion of the nearby Darkwood to Barrow Fields and Oakvale. With no villagers to keep the marsh at bay, the town, fields and the pre-gate exterior of Bloodstone were consumed by the swamp land once known as Darkwood. In Fable II, there is no direct reference to who this man is, but later on in the game, Reaver asks you to take a seal to some "friends" in Wraithmarsh. At this point, you encounter the Shadow Judges and are forced either to let your youth be taken or that of a young woman. When you later leave with Reaver, he tells you about one of the affairs he had with two women, mumbling, "Oh that must have been about 200 years ago," and upon leaving for Samarkand he also says that he will have to "make the journey back to Albion to pay tribute to some friends in Wraithmarsh". Later, if you purchase Bloodstone Manor, you can find and read Reaver's diary (as separate pages) in which he states that he was the one who destroyed Oakvale, and how he did not know what would happen, lamenting the death of a lover who lived there, and what seems to be a personality change, for he claims he is not a regretful or fearful man any more. Five decades later in Fable III, Reaver implies that he is still making the sacrifices to the Shadow Court in Wraithmarsh, an act that, he admits, "becomes more tiresome with each passing year".
Law and Economy Edit
Due to the hostility of the region, there are no traders, shops or inhabitable buildings, and there is no Albion Guard presence. In various areas of Wraithmarsh, standing still for too long will cause attacks to come at you out of thin air, with nothing to fight against. This may be because of the curse on this area.
Demon Door Edit
Points of Interest Edit
There are seven silver keys, and six Gargoyles associated with Wraithmarsh. There is one Gargoyle, and three silver keys that you cannot access until you partake in the Love Hurts quest, because they are located in Twinblade's Tomb.
- Gargoyle One is inside the dilapidated house just behind the cage you wake up in. Go inside, he is right on the wall as you enter the house.
- Gargoyle Two this one is on the west side of the carriage house, just before you go into the second part of Oakvale.
- Gargoyle Three you have to take a detour to get this one. Across from the Shadow Court, there is a path going up which leads to a wooden bridge. Follow this path, and you'll come across some pillars that have seen better days. Go up the stairs that the path leads to, and at the top of the stairs, you can get a clear shot of this Gargoyle; he is on the backside of one of the pillars.
- Gargoyle Four after the fog filled graveyard, you are running on a path through some tombs, right before you go under the bridge, there is one on the side of one of these tombs. Go to the bridge, and turn around, it is on the tomb on the right.
- Gargoyle Five is inside the Shadow Court in the hallway where the spikes come up through the floor. It is above the doorway inside this hallway.
- Gargoyle Six can be found in the main chamber of Twinblade's Tomb; you have to enter the chamber, and the Gargoyle is located above the doorway inside.
- Silver Key One when you pass the carriage building into the second part of Oakvale, the first house on the left has a key inside. Go in, and go upstairs, the key is on the second floor.
- Silver Key Two is on the left when you enter the wide open cemetery that is covered with fog.
- Silver Key Three is down a side path just past the second Banshee. The path to Bloodstone crosses a porch of a ruined building and the side path to the silver key is just before this building on the right.
- Silver Key Four is located in the Shadow Court, in the chamber just past the hallway with the spikes coming out of the floor. Break a wall in the far left corner of this room to reveal a hallway leading to this key.
- Silver Key Five can be found in Twinblade's main chamber, it is to the right of the sarcophagus, and to the left of the coffin that holds Lady Grey's upper body.
- Silver Key Six can be found in the same room as key one, it is inside the sarcophagus, just to the left of the first silver key, and directly in front of where the Gargoyle was situated.
- Silver Key Seven will be directly in front of you when you leave Twinblade's Tomb. You can't miss it.
- Note: These Gargoyles and silver keys are listed as a part of the total in the greater Wraithmarsh area. There are three keys, and one Gargoyle that directly correspond to you gaining access to this tomb, but for the greater Wraithmarsh area, there are a total of seven silver keys, and six gargoyles.
Fast Travel Edit
There are five fast travel locations in the region.
- The background music in Wraithmarsh is a creepy theme and was released to the public by Lionhead prior to the launch of Fable II. It sounds like a very distorted version of the Oakvale music from the first game.
- Deep into Wraithmarsh, you can find the arch that lay just outside of Oakvale in Fable.
- Walking through the arch will lead you to a foggy area where you can see the tops of the old buildings from Oakvale. However, the game will not let you proceed into the foggy mist where Oakvale once stood.
- A seventh silver key exists in Wraithmarsh even though the logbook indicates six keys. This brings the total number of silver keys in the game to 51.
- Hidden somewhere in Wraithmarsh is "Madame Ursula's Home for Little Lost Souls". It's a house with two toy-boxes and a few cradles. The Cursed Snowglobe says it was once "Madame Ursula's Little Tykes School".
- It's recommended not to bring anyone with you into Wraithmarsh, there are a few spot where you must vault that followers can't get into.
- Somewhere in Wraithmarsh, on the ground, a box of choclates can be found. This is possibly a reference to the chocolates the Hero of Oakvale bought for his sister Theresa at the beginning of Fable and Fable: The Lost Chapters.
- In incredibly rare instances, Hammer can be spawned by the Wraithmarsh Cullis gate after completing the game.
- One of the posters on a loading screen in Fable III states that Reaver has given Wraithmarsh an appeal for tourists. This may be his way of collecting sacrifices.
- In the Fable II DLC See The Future, the town that is inside the snowglobe is in fact Oakvale before it was destroyed.
- There are four noteworthy graves that can be found in Wraithmarsh. The first on the left says "Here Lies Rosie, A Teddy Bear", the second "Brom. Perished in the bandit attack"; these are referencing characters from Fable. The last two reading "Here lie the charred remains of an Oakvale villager" and "An Unknown trader. Perished in the bandit attack." also refer to Fable.
|Fable II Locations|
|Regions||Bandit Coast • Bloodstone (The Sinkhole | Reaver's Rear Passage | Lion's Head Isle | Hall of the Dead) • Bower Lake (Tomb of Heroes) • Bowerstone Cemetery (Shelley Crypt) • Bowerstone Market (Gargoyle's Trove) • Bowerstone Old Town • Brightwood (Farm Cellar | Archon's Knot | Forsaken Fortress | Nightmare Hollow) • Fairfax Gardens (Lady Grey's Tomb | Fairfax Tomb) • Guild Cave • Knothole Island (Ice Shrine | Sun Shrine | Storm Shrine | Weather Chamber) • Oakfield (Wellspring Cave | Echo Mine) • Rookridge (Hobbe Cave | Gemstone Grotto | Temple of Shadows | The Wellspring) • Southcliff • Westcliff (Howling Halls | Old Tin Mine) • Wraithmarsh (Shadow Court | The Well | Twinblade's Tomb)|
|Landmarks||Bloodstone Mansion • Brightwood Tower • Celestial Keep • Crucible • Gypsy Camp • Hero Hill • Fairfax Castle • Southcliff Castle • The Tattered Spire|