Wikia are upgrading the MediaWiki software to MediaWiki 1.19, which uses HTML5 coding rather than the HTML4 coding currently used on many wikis. Because of this, some HTML tags will soon no longer function.
Following are those which are most used here which will no longer work, and the best replacements for them:
<br style="clear: both;" />
- Everything above excluding
<br style="clear:both;" />will not work after the upgrade to HTML5. This table provides the best alternatives for each.
|Soon to be obsolete||Alternative|
For more information, see:
- w:User blog:TOR/MediaWiki Upgrade
- w:User blog:Ohmyn0/Making your wiki HTML5 compliant
- w:Forum:Obsolete and deprecated HTML4 elements
In addition to just changing those that you happen to find when editing, I have been thinking about creating a bot that should be able to do this. I know SD had a bot, and Shadowphoenix also had a bot, so hopefully they are useful and relatively easy to create.
Once it has finished with tidying the HTML, there are probably some other things we could use it for as well. On Fable Answers, for example, it could (I don't know if it's actually possible) delete Candidates for Deletion when they are marked, and perhaps fix Double and Broken redirects.
- Hmm a bot sounds like a good idea, maybe have it do the deletion for here too, if we could make a set template that triggers it. Like a speedy deletion process, giving the access to the template code to the Rollbacks as a means for them to fight vandalism. I don't know if its possible though, but it would be a good thing for if at some point both Admin are away at the same time, then the vandal page isn't clogging up the wiki.--Lycos Devanos Drop me a line 22:32, July 29, 2012 (UTC)